No one in the world, it seems, gives a damn about stopping the War in Ukraine.
For the most part they just want more. They want more war, bigger war, fiercer war, more destructive war, more complete, more endless war.
Zelensky swears they will fight to the last man, with shovels if that is all they have.
That would be comical rhetoric if he weren’t president of a nation currently destroying itself.
What is required is an immediate CEASE FIRE.
And that is what the whole world should be crying for, demanding, urging, suggesting, helping with.
But it never gets a mention.
And the biggest obstacle? Ukraine and its insane ‘leadership’ (which doesn’t merit the word) which brought them to this.
Apparently, to the best of my knowledge, they will not even contemplate talking at all until Russia accedes to their demands. Principal amongst which is the ‘return’ of Crimea.
A total block right there. Completely cynical and deliberate show stopper.
And Russia, what does Russia want before they will talk (I’m told) ? Honour the Minsk accords is it.
If anyone has more recent and better knowledge then please share it or at least a link to it.
My point is that all this should be front and centre at all times but it is not even in the margins.
Here’s what I believe now. The Russians say this and the Ukrainians say this:
DEMANDS (as of 29 march 2022)
- Recognise the independence of Luhansk People’s Republic and Donetsk People’s Republics
- Recognise Crimea as Russian territory
- Demilitarize to only defensive weaponry and no offensive weaponry
- Declare neutral status and not join any military alliances or blocs like NATO (constitutional change)
- Allow Ukraine to join the European Union
- De-escalation of military activities in some parts of Ukraine, particularly near Chernihiv and Kyiv.
Russia Point of View
“(The operation’s ultimate goal is) to protect the people who have been subjected for eight years to genocide by the Kiev regime.
(Moscow would) embark on a demilitarization and denazification of Ukraine, and handing over to justice those who committed numerous atrocities against civilians.
We do not have plans to occupy Ukrainian territories. We are not going to impose anything on anyone by force”
23 February 2022
DEMANDS (as of 29 march 2022)
- “NATO Article 5” type security guarantee – guarantors to include: Russia, United Kingdom, China, United States, Turkey, France, Canada, Italy, Poland and Israel.
- Guarantors will go to war to protect Ukraine if it is invaded (as per what the security guarantee expected)
- Territory to be guaranteed do not apply to Crimea and Donbass, however it do include parts of Luhansk and Donetsk’s oblast
- No objection against joining European Union
- 15 years moratorium on the status of Crimea to negotiate Crimea’s future
- Both sides to not use military force to resolve Crimea issue
- Pledge not to join any military alliances
- Pledge not to host foreign military bases or foreign troops
- Military exercises will require approval from guarantors
Pledge not to seek/obtain weapon of mass destruction including nuclear weapons
=========== and that’s it.
No one should be making pre conditions to talking. No one.
But there is one precondition to talking: CEASEFIRE.
Simply Cease Fire. Everyone hold positions and ceasefire.
Stop killing. Stop destroying.
Let the Ukrainians reflect on what a terrible price they are paying and for what? To stop LPR and DPR being what they said they could be?
Let the Russians reflect on just how necessary it is for them to go this route to protect the LPR and DPR and get the hatred and continual provocation of Ukraine’s mad leadership off their backs.